Want to take advantage of this warm winter weather? Want to get WILD with your food?
Come out Saturday, February 22nd, as we venture out to forage ingredients for the best pizza you’ve ever eaten at a garden – the Well Fed Community Garden, that is.
Join Piedmont Picnic Project at Well Fed Community Garden for this Wild History foraging walk with a yummy prize at the end: pizza! We’ll walk through the surprisingly lush urban landscape surrounding Well Fed, identifying edible plants and teaching you tips to ID them on your own in the future. Wild History walks also incorporate a sense of place through stories about historical, cultural, and geographic connections, bringing us closer to where our food comes from. The event will conclude with enjoying a woodfired pizza made with wild ingredients – both freshly foraged and from the Piedmont Picnic wild foods pantry!
What to you’ll take away:
- Basic safety and etiquette around foraging wild edible plants, especially in an urban environment.
- Identification and uses for several common wild edible plants in season in our area right now, including a handout to take home with you.
- Delicious wood-fired pizza topped with wild sauces and other wild additions — in your belly!
What to expect:
- Dress for outdoors & the weather! We will be walking outside, on paved and non-paved terrain. We recommend closed-toe shoes and long pants. Also, the February weather in NC is unpredictable, so we recommend layers to adjust to the temperature/precipitation. We will give as much advance notice as possible if we have to cancel, but we plan to proceed with just a light drizzle.
- You’ll arrive and sign in with us. We’ll also record your pizza preferences at this time (gluten-free, vegan cheese). Before we head out to forage, we’ll go over some tips and guidelines for best practices.
- We’ll be out walking for the first hour or so of this event. Our pace will be mostly leisurely, with frequent stops for plant ID and observations.
- After the walk, we’ll gather together around the pizza oven to top our pies with delicious ingredients we’ve picked from the surrounding land and then chow down. Buon appetito!
Tickets: Your ticket includes an educational foraging walk followed by a delicious pizza lunch made on-site and including foraged ingredients.
Pizzas can be made with wheat or gluten-free crust and dairy or vegan cheese. All pizzas are vegetarian.
About the hosts:
We believe you’ll enjoy your food more if you know the story behind it! Here’s how we’ll each help you do that.
Piedmont Picnic seeks to connect people to their food through hands-on programming that builds skills and builds community. Learn how to produce your favorite food and drink while at the same time being rooted in the relevant history behind our local food traditions, people, and place.
We’re excited to be at Well Fed Community Garden for this foraging walk and lunch – a hub for local food and community as well as a gorgeous space!